On 23 December 1994, the United Nations General Assembly decided, in its resolution 49/214, that the International Day of the World’s Indigenous People shall be observed on 9 August every year. The date marks the first meeting, in 1982, of the UN Working Group on Indigenous Populations.
The International Day observance will take place online on Wednesday, 9 August 2023.
This year’s theme is: Indigenous Youth as Agents of Change for Self-determination.
- Climate Action and the Green Transition
- Mobilizing for Justice
- Intergenerational connections
To read the concept note click here.
Check the Tentative Programme here.
Virtual Commemoration on 9 August 2023 - Indigenous Youth as Agents of Change for Self-determination
(09-10:30am EST/New York time)
Interpretation will be available in English and Spanish.
Link to register: https://tinyurl.com/Indigenous23
The virtual commemoration will include an opening segment with a traditional ceremony, followed by a pre-recorded statement from UN high level officials and a virtual statement from the Chair of the Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues.
The interactive dialogue segment will include the participation of invited speakers and a moderator. Speakers will share their expertise and experience from their Indigenous Peoples’ communities in the role of Indigenous youth in exercising self-determination in the context of climate action and the green transition; mobilizing for justice; and intergenerational connections.
- Traditional Opening Ceremony - conducted by Mr Joe Baker (Lenape)
- Video message by Ms. Jayathma Wickramanayake, Secretary-General's Envoy on Youth
- Message by Mr Dario Jose Mejía Montalvo, UNPFII Chairperson
- Ms Josefa Tauli (Ibaloi-Kankanaey Igorot)
- Ms Autumn Adams (Yakama)
- Mr Luis Acosta (Nasa)
- Moderator: Ms Aminatu Gambo Samira (Mbororo-Fulani)
- Commentary on youth engagement: Ms Rosa-Máren Juuso (Saami)
- Closing remarks by Permanent Representative of Colombia to the United Nations, Her Excellency Leonor Zalabata Torres (Arhuaco)
Messages on the Occasion of the International Day
- Statement by UN Secretary-General, António Guterres | AR | EN | ES | FR | RU | ZH
- Statement by UN Special Rapporteur on the rights of Indigenous Peoples, Mr. José Francisco Calí Tzay EN
- Statement by the Special Adviser to the SG on Addressing Racism in the Workplace, Ms. Mojankunyane Gumbi EN
- Statement by Acting Executive Secretary of the Convention on Biological Diversity, David Cooper EN | video statement
- Statement by President of the International Fund of Agricultural Development (IFAD), Alvaro Lario EN
- Statement by Director General of the World Intellectual Property (WIPO), Mr Daren Tang EN | ES
- Statement by Assistant Executive Director of the World Food Programme (WFP), Ms Valerie Guarnieri video message
Opportunities and Resources for Indigenous Youth
Outreach and Media
- IFAD: Indigenous Youth are Shaping our World EN
- IFAD: Free, Prior and Informed Consent: Applying the principle to on-the-ground action EN
- CBD: International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples 2023 EN
- FIFA: FIFA and United Nations Join Together to Celebrate International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples EN
- International Land Coalition: Launch of the Indigenous Peoples Platform EN
- OHCHR: Advancing the Rights of Indigenous Peoples EN
- OSCE: Anti-Indigenous Hate Crimes EN | RU
- WFP: Indigenous Peoples' Day: Local Knowledge and Young People are Driving Change EN
- WFP Video
- WIPO: Wakangay Santi, the Young Indigenous Kichwa Woman from the Ecuadorian Amazon who Inspires through her Community Business EN
- World Bank: Indigenous Youth on Cultural Identity and a Livable Planet EN
- World Bank: Empowering Indigenous Peoples to Protect Forests EN
- World Bank: Indigenous Youth Train to Save the Earth by Sharing Knowledge EN | ES
- UNDP: Announcement of Equator Prize Winners EN
- UNDP: Fighting for their Future EN
- UNDP Cacao, Reforestation and Restoration EN
- UNEP: As Climate Crisis Alters their Lands, Indigenous Peoples turn to the Courts EN
- UN Stories EN
Other Webinars & Events
- WHO Webinar: Indigenous Peoples’ leadership for integrated holistic approaches to health and well-being
Digital comms assets
For all digital communications assets and key messages on the International Day 2023, you can check out our Trello board: United Nations and Indigenous Peoples - outreach material from across the UN | Trello