On 4 October 2023, on the sidelines of the Second and Third Committees of the General Assembly, UNU-WIDER in collaboration with UN DESA organises a debate to answer these questions and discuss how to build fairer societies.
The event begins with a presentation of UNU-WIDER's synthesis of its 2019-2023 work programme titled Towards peace, decent work, and greater equality, which synthesizes the institution’s most salient research and policy lessons on the three universal aspirations shared by humans everywhere—peace, decent work, and fairer societies. It outlines major findings that support fulfilment of these universal aspirations and identifies opportunities for action that can accelerate progress towards the SDGs.
A panel discussion with experts from the UN and academia follows, exchanging ideas and opportunities for progress towards greater equality to achieve the global goals by 2030 and beyond.
When: 4 October 2023, 12:00 - 2:45 PM (New York time)
Where: Conference Room 11, United Nations Headquarters, New York
12.00-13.00 Registration and light lunch (lunch will be at the right side of Vienna Cafe)
- Welcoming Remarks: Mr. Navid Hanif, UN DESA ASG for Economic Affairs
- Presentation of UNU-WIDER report: Mr. Kunal Sen, UNU-WIDER Director
- Chair: Mr. Navid Hanif, UN DESA ASG for Economic Affairs
- Mr. Pedro Conceição, Director of the HDRO Office, UNDP
- Ms. Sarah Cliffe, Executive Director, NYU Center on International Cooperation
- Ms. Wenyan Yang, Chief of GDSDB, UN DESA
- Questions and discussion with audience
For more information, click here.