The Commission for Social Development (CSocD), at its fifty-sixth session in 2018, will conduct the global segment of the third review and appraisal cycle of the Madrid Plan. Learn more about the High-level panel discussion on the Third Review and Appraisal of the MIPAA, on 31 January 2018 at UN Headquarters in New York. The Preliminary Assessment Report lists substantive and organizational suggestions offered by Regional Commissions for the consideration of Member States to more effectively highlight the outcomes of the regional processes of the third review and appraisal cycle. Suggestions include:
- holding parallel roundtables focused on key topics within the three priority directions of MIPAA and prepare recommendations to guide work in those areas;
- focusing on building complementarities and synergies, as well as bridging gaps between the Madrid Plan of Action and the Sustainable Development Goals, particularly in terms of frameworks and reporting;
- debating and agreeing upon a global roadmap or strategy on ageing for the next 5 years;
- organizing two panel events, with the first panel comprised of Member States representing each region to highlight regional perspectives, and the second featuring a keynote speaker followed by global experts;
- adopting session could end with the adoption of a resolution on the critical importance of ageing issues and MIPAA and with focus on a few key follow-up actions.